Types of Damages in Personal Injury Cases
When you have been injured due to the negligence of another person, you may be entitled to compensation in the form of money damages. This compensation could be due from the individual or company that caused your injury, or perhaps their insurance company. At Burkhart and Burkhart, we will work diligently to ensure that you can feel whole again from a monetary standpoint.
You may be entitled to receive compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses — You may be entitled to have current and future medical expenses reimbursed or paid in full.
- Lost wages — If you have missed work because of your injury, you may be entitled to be compensated for the wages you would have received during that time. Also, if you will be permanently out of work due to your injury, you deserve compensation for your diminished future income.
- Pain and suffering — Pain and suffering can include emotional distress that was caused by your injury. This can be hard to put a price on, but Burkhart and Burkhart will work to ensure that you receive what you deserve.
- Loss of consortium — Loss of consortium relates to the impact of your injuries on your relationship with your spouse, such as a negative change in your relationship emotionally or sexually.
- Property damage — You may be entitled to the full replacement value of any property that was damaged.
The measure of damages for particular injury cases depends heavily on the particular facts of each case and the degree of causation. Having an attorney on your side is the best way to receive the compensation you deserve.